Very rich and buttery cookies from my friend Elisabeth. Just perfect for children, grandchildren and a few left over for us. A number of people have added that they baked the cookies for a longer time. I tried that, and my cookies burned. Then I realized it is because I roll them VERY thin. I measured a baked cookie, and it was 1/16". So, if you roll them thin, pay attention to the time, if they are not quite that thin it will take more time than I stated in the recipe. I also use this recipe for Easter cookies, and have posted some Easter cookie pictures. Today, 4th of July, we made Independance Day cookies. I baked them for 5 minutes. My sister-in-law says what makes them so good is how thin I roll them.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and flavoring.
- Combine and add flour and salt.
- Chill dough 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll thinly and cut.
- Bake 5-7 minutes, (this is because I roll them very thin,you might want to cook them longer if you don't roll them thin -- see other peoples notes).
- Ice with either Almond or Royal Icing.
- The Almond Icing is a thin icing that you can "paint" on the cookies. I actually use paint brushes, and have fun coloring the icing.
- The Royal Icing dries hard. It can be used to "glue" tails back on kittens (cookies) and trunks on elephants. It also holds the cookies together better for shipping. I use a small metal spatula for spreading this, and use a lot of sprinkles and other adornments with this icing.
- The amounts of sugar and liquid are flexible to your own preferred consistency.
Wonderful! I made them with my childcare children and they loved them. When I tasted them I was impressed. My usual sugar cookie recipe tastes floury but these are buttery and wonderful. Thanks for the great recipe!
Nice, easy cookie to make. Made them for Valentine's Day and they turned out very good. As mine were rolled quite thin I did have to watch them to make certain that they didn't burn. I too, did not get 60 cookies as my heart shaped cutter was rather large. All in all they passed the family taste test and are now saved in my cookbook. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
This is a very good cookie. I didn't get near 60 cookies, but my cutter was kind of large. The dough is sticky so I would recommend chlling very well before rolling. The flavor is very good and they don't spread when baking.