Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 mins
This is a fun recipe. Get creative and have fun with this.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- red food coloring
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- Cut a heart pattern from a 4-1/2 inch square of paper. Cover baking sheet with brown paper. (You can bake on the brown paper so make sure it is clean.) Grocery store bags without writing on them are okay. Draw 6 hearts on the brown paper using your pattern as a guide.
- Beat egg whites with vanilla, cream of tartar and salt until frothy. Add sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Rub a bit between your figures to feel that no sugar remains undissolved. Add food coloring, a few drops to make a delicate pink color.
- Spread meringue over the heart shapes, 1/4 inch thick. Make into the heart shape using a spoon to push and form into correct shape. Pipe rim 3/4 inch high with pastry tube.
- Bake in preheated 275-degree oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven and let meringues dry in oven for 1 more hour. DO NOT open oven door during this time.
- Fill the cooled meringues with scoops of ice cream and top with strawberries. Decorate with mint leaves if desired.
Outstanding ! Easy, fun and tasty. My sweetheart likes cherries better than strawberries, so I used some I had frozen from last summer. I used cherry almond ice cream and whipped cream for garnish. He loved it !!! Thanks for a wonderful fun recipe!
Cant review yet, looking forward to trying this recipe.