Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love is in the air!! Cook up something sweet on this Valentine’s Day. Here is a recipe of heart shaped cookie to surprise your valentine, to make the day, a sweeter valentine day this time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup custard powder
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add Icing sugar and increase the speed of your electric mixer. Beat it until the sugar grains are super fine by scarping the bowl occasionally.
- Add the eggs mixing in one at a time.
- Slowly add flour in the mixer bowl, beat it until it gets combined well and the mixture is fluffy. Gather the flour towards the centre with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon and beat it once again.
- Now reduce the mixer speed of your electric mixer to low and add the rest of the ingredients and blend again slowly until it is mixed well.
- Now divide the dough into two equal portions. Lay a plastic wrap on your counter. Take one part and put it between two plastic wraps / sheets or wax paper. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin to about ¼ inch thick.
- Peel off the plastic sheet from the top and and then cut out the shapes with a round cookie cutter to get 7cm round cookies.
- Do the same with the other part of the dough, what you have done with the first part of the dough.
- Gently press a 5cm heart-shaped cutter into the centre of each round,.
- With a 5 cm heart shaped cookie cutter, make hearts by pressing into the centre of each round. Cut out as many cookies as you can. Keep aside the scraps. You can combine it with the scraps from the second disk, roll it, cut it again with the cookie maker and make more cookies.
- Now place the heart shaped cookies on the top of the round shaped cookies.
- Take jam in a bowl and add one tablespoons water. Mix it well with a spoon, so that it would be little more pliable before dolloping on the cookies.
- Take a piping bag and fill it with the jam. Cut out the edge of the piping bag slightly.
- Fill each heart shaped space with jam starting at the edges of the hearts and then towards the centre. Don’t fill the hearts with the jam too much.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top of all cookies.
- Line a baking sheet with a wax paper. Transfer these cookies to the baking sheet by leaving little space between the cookies.
- Bake the cookies at 170 degree Celsius for 15 to 18 minutes or until it turns golden brown rotating the sheets halfway through baking.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Serve Valentine Heart Cookies / Custard Cookies with jam Garnish with your valentine and your loved ones.