Recipe by Bonnie G #2
Found this in the Cooking Light Magazine and while it looks a little complicated, it sounds wonderful. Once I can gather up all the ingredients I can't wait to try this. There's another recipe by this name, but this one sounds quite different. The recipe states that Valencia is a Spanish coastal city where this dish is particularly revered - never having been there I can't say, but do like the thought.
Top Review by IngridH
Excellent! I love paella, and almost never make it at home. This was a wonderful example of the dish, full of flavor. I added 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika with the tomatoes, otherwise made as written. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 340.19 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3.69 ml salt, divided
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper, divided
- 118.29 ml chorizo sausage, thinly sliced (about 2 ounces)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml tomatoes, chopped
- 14.79 ml capers, drained
- 1.23 ml saffron thread, crushed
- 236.59 ml rice (Arborio or other short grain type)
- 158.51 ml white wine
- 396.89 g fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml frozen green pea
- 59.14 ml water
- 18 mussels (about 3/4 pound)
- 36.97 ml roasted red peppers, chopped (bottle)
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add shrimp to pan; saute 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl.
- Add chorizo to pan and cook for 1 minute or until browned.
- Add chorizo to bowl.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add onion and garlic to pain; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tomato, capers and saffron; cook 1 minute.
- Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon alt, rice, wine and broth to pan; bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add shrimp mixture, peas, 1/4 cup water, and mussels to pan.
- Cover and cook 8 minutes over medium heat or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells.
- Remove from heat, and stir in bell peppers and cilantro.
- Let stand 3 minutes.