1/1 Photo of Valencia Paella
Bonnie G #2's Note:
Found this in the Cooking Light Magazine and while it looks a little complicated, it sounds wonderful. Once I can gather up all the ingredients I can't wait to try this. There's another recipe by this name, but this one sounds quite different. The recipe states that Valencia is a Spanish coastal city where this dish is particularly revered - never having been there I can't say, but do like the thought.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup chorizo sausage, thinly sliced (about 2 ounces)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1 cup rice (Arborio or other short grain type)
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 14 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea
- 1/4 cup water
- 18 mussels (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, chopped (bottle)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 3Add shrimp to pan; saute 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- 4Place shrimp in a medium bowl.
- 5Add chorizo to pan and cook for 1 minute or until browned.
- 6Add chorizo to bowl.
- 7Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- 8Add chicken to pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 9Add onion and garlic to pain; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- 10Stir in the tomato, capers and saffron; cook 1 minute.
- 11Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon alt, rice, wine and broth to pan; bring to boil.
- 12Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 13Add shrimp mixture, peas, 1/4 cup water, and mussels to pan.
- 14Cover and cook 8 minutes over medium heat or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells.
- 15Remove from heat, and stir in bell peppers and cilantro.
- 16Let stand 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Valencia Paella
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.2
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 1142.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 27.7 g