Recipe by Ilysse
From the internet. never used the lard in this recipe but do go over board with the pancetta. I usually get 1/4 lb.
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 slices cured lard or 2 slices pancetta
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince the onion and garlic, and sauté them in butter.
- When the onion has turned golden, add the lard and cubed meat, together with the herbs.
- Brown the meat lightly, then sprinkle the wine over and cook until it has evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about an hour and a half, more, adding broth a little at a time to keep it from drying out.
- If you want, you can thicken the juices by sifting a little flour into the dish shortly before it's done and stirring well.