Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here, vadouvan, a south Indian seasoning, turns a weeknight seafood dish into something unforgettable, with its complex curry flavors mingling with tangy orange juice to make an addictive sauce for plump, sweet shrimp. Having a batch of vadouvan in the freezer is as good as a pot of gold in our books, says Gourmet magazine. Time does not include the the vadouvan which needs to be made ahead. Vadouvan keeps in the refrigerator 1 month (cool before covering) or in the freezer 6 months.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup onion, blend (Indian Vadouvan seasoning )
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, in shell peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 lbs onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb shallot, halved
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh curry leaf (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- (Make ahead).
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Pulse onions in 3 batches in a food processor until very coarsely chopped (there may be a few large pieces remaining), transferring to a bowl.
- Repeat with shallots, then garlic.
- Heat oil in a deep 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over high heat until it shimmers, then sauté onions, shallots, and garlic (stir often) until golden and browned in spots, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Grind fenugreek seeds in grinder or with mortar and pestle. Add to onion mixture along with remaining ingredients, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and stir until combined.
- Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined large 4-sided sheet pan and spread as thinly and evenly as possible.
- Bake, stirring occasionally with a skewer to separate onions, until well browned and barely moist, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- *COOKS NOTE: Vadouvan keeps in the refrigerator 1 month (cool before covering) or in the freezer 6 months.
- ORANGE SHRIMP:.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat and cook until butter gives off a nutty fragrance and is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add juice and vadouvan, then increase heat to medium-high and boil, swirling skillet occasionally, until liquid is syrupy and reduced by about half, about 2 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with 1/2 tsp salt and add to skillet and saute until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with steamed rice.