1 hr 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, found in September 2008 Gourmet. Vadouvan is ready-to-use blend of spices that is a derivative of Indian curry blend with a French influence. A variant of a masala with added spices such as shallots and garlic, Vadouvan is usually used in gourmet cooking. The spice is thought to have originated due to French colonial influence in the Pondicherry region of India. Recipe by Paul Grimes, starting with a formula by chef Inaki Aizpitarte, of Le Chateaubriand, and roasting it for an exotic meatiness. Make one big batch and keep it in the freezer for up to 6 months (1 month in refrigerator). (Some people use a Magic Bullet just for grinding Indian spices.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb shallot, halved
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh curry leaf, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350F (176C) with rack in middle position.
- 2In a food processor, pulse onions in 3 batches until very coarsely chopped (okay if a few large pieces remain), transferring to a bowl.
- 3Repeat with shallots, then garlic.
- 4In a deep 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over high heat, heat oil until it shimmers. Sautee onions, shallots and garlick (stir often) until golden and browned in spots, 25-30 minutes.
- 5In an electric coffee/spice grinder, or with mortar and pestle, grind fenugreek seeds.
- 6Add ground fenugreek to onion mixture and add remaining ingredients. Stir until combined.
- 7Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined large 4-sided sheet pan and spread as thinly and evenly as possible. Bake, stirring occasionally with a skewer to separate onions, until well browned and barely moist, 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- 8Store in tightly sealed container in refrigerator for up to 1 month or in freezer up to 6 months. If you feel generous, share with your friends.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vadouvan Indian Spice Blend - Gourmet
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 54.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 295.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 1.1 g