Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, found in September 2008 Gourmet. Vadouvan is ready-to-use blend of spices that is a derivative of Indian curry blend with a French influence. A variant of a masala with added spices such as shallots and garlic, Vadouvan is usually used in gourmet cooking. The spice is thought to have originated due to French colonial influence in the Pondicherry region of India. Recipe by Paul Grimes, starting with a formula by chef Inaki Aizpitarte, of Le Chateaubriand, and roasting it for an exotic meatiness. Make one big batch and keep it in the freezer for up to 6 months (1 month in refrigerator). (Some people use a Magic Bullet just for grinding Indian spices.)
- 2 lbs onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb shallot, halved
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh curry leaf, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C) with rack in middle position.
- In a food processor, pulse onions in 3 batches until very coarsely chopped (okay if a few large pieces remain), transferring to a bowl.
- Repeat with shallots, then garlic.
- In a deep 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over high heat, heat oil until it shimmers. Sautee onions, shallots and garlick (stir often) until golden and browned in spots, 25-30 minutes.
- In an electric coffee/spice grinder, or with mortar and pestle, grind fenugreek seeds.
- Add ground fenugreek to onion mixture and add remaining ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined large 4-sided sheet pan and spread as thinly and evenly as possible. Bake, stirring occasionally with a skewer to separate onions, until well browned and barely moist, 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- Store in tightly sealed container in refrigerator for up to 1 month or in freezer up to 6 months. If you feel generous, share with your friends.