Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Indian Battered Potato Balls.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 550 g potatoes, peeled, boiled & roughly chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
For the batter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 g chickpea flour
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large pan heat a little oil & add the mustard seed, turmeric, salt & chilli, cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes and mash as you mix.
- Mix in the coriander, remove from the heat & cool.
- Once the mix is cool roll into about 10-14 balls.
- In a bowl sift the flour with the cumin & baking powder, season with a little salt.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil & 130ml of cold water to form a batter.
- Heat the oil to 190°C/375°F.
- Dip the potato balls into the batter mix and drop into the oil and fry until golden brown.