Prep 11 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Vadai curry is served as a side dish with Idlis or dosas in restaurants across South India. The understanding is that the curry is made of left over or previous days vadas. But in my recipe I am going to use freshly prepare the vadas. Vadas are nothing but deep fried lenthil dumplings.
- 2 cups bengal gram dal
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chutney, gram
- 1 green chili
- 2 red chilies
- 1 tablespoon coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 3 golden fried cashews
- Soak the bengalgram in water for 1 hour. Drain the water and grind to a coarse paste.
- Mix in salt and the2tbsp chopped onions.
- Make small dumplings of this mixture and deep fry in hot oil till golden brown. Remove and keep aside to drain.
- To prepare the gravy - Make a smooth paste by grinding by grinding all the ingredients from aniseed till coconut by using very little water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and aniseed.
- Fry till a nice aroma comes and then mix in the chopped onions and keep sautéing till it turns brown. Now add the chopped tomatoes.
- Keep stirring and once the tomatoes have become mushy and the oil floats on top, mix in red chili powder, turmeric and garam masala. Fry for a minute then add the paste fry little oil floats on top--it takes 4-5 minutes of frying.
- Now add 3 cups of water,keep on stove till the gravy starts to come to a boil. Now add the deep fried dumplings and the salt. Let it cook for some time till the dumplings soak up some of the gravy.
- Now is the time to adjust the salt and the consistency of the gravy.
- Serve this hot vadai curry garnished with chopped coriander and golden fried cashews with steaming hot idlis.
I found this recipe to be poorly posted, and most confusing to follow, hence two stars. However the flavour was worth 5 stars. The spice base would work well with chicken and I might just post a recipe using the spice mix. I enjoyed this despite all of the above.