Recipe by cookiedog
These tiny meringue treats are from pastry chef Deanie Hickox of Manresa in Los Gatos. The lemon curd in this is creamy, smooth and perfect. I didn't have a pastry bag so I just used a baggie and snipped the corner to pipe the meringue.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 lemons, zest and strained juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and halved
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Meringues: Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a ookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 2 egg whites, confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons sugar, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt in bowl of electric mixer. Using whisk attachment, whip until egg whites hold stiff peaks and are glossy (this may take as long as 10 or 15 minutes). Add vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
- Fill a pastry bag that has a small (1/4 inch), plain tip. Pipe a small amount of meringue under each corner of parchment to keep it secure during baking.
- Pipe a quarter-sized base of meringue onto the parchment. Next pipe a ring of meringue around the base and spiral upward to make a "nest" three rows high. Continue piping rows with remaining meringue.
- Bake in the oven for several hours until meringue is dry and crisp on the outside but slightly chewy on the inside (usually at least 3 hours). Let cool.
- Lemon Curd: Place 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar and lemon zest and juice in large mixing bowl or double boiler. Whisk constantly and vigorously over pot of simmering water on low heat until mixture is no longer foaming and very thick.
- Remove from heat. Add butter, whisking in until melted; season with salt. Strain curd, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready for use.
- To serve: Fill each meringue with a small dollop of lemon curd- too much will cause the curd to drip over the sides once the strawberry is added.
- Top each filled meringue with one halved strawberry. Garnish each with a mint leaf or tip, if desired.