1/1 Photo of Vaca Frita (Cuban Shredded Beef)
10 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Absolutely wonderful! Simmered beef marinated overnight in lime, lemon and garlic, then sauteed with onion until slightly crispy (then I like to blast it with more fresh-squeezed lime juice!). The technique is almost like making homemade roast beef hash (without the potato). Prep time includes marinating beef overnight. Cook time is combination of two days (simmering of beef, then sauteeing).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Simmer roast with bay leaves in a Dutch oven on the stove until tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 2Cool at room temperature; reserve cooking water for another use if you wish.
- 3When beef is cool, shred and place in a glass container.
- 4Combine lime juice, lemon juice and garlic; mix into meat.
- 5Season with salt and pepper and marinate overnight.
- 6(The sirloin roast is excellent at"soaking up" the juices!) Next day, remove meat from marinade, squeezing excess liquid (if you need to; I normally don't) and fry in a large skillet in olive oil until slightly brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 7Add thin onion slices and parsley and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until onion is tender and meat is well-browned.
- 8Squeeze more lime juice on meat and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vaca Frita (Cuban Shredded Beef)
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.3
- Calories from Fat 521
- Total Fat 57.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 135.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 42.1 g