Recipe by JanuaryBride
Recipe from First Magazine 11/3/08. Feel free to substitute veggie broth for the chicken broth to make this a great vegetarian recipe!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
After adding Tabasco smoked chipotle, fresh chives from the garden and a little bit of salt, the flavors popped out. The cheese amount was cut in half. Used your Recipe #337449 recipe for the tomato juice with several vegetables from our CS box. Added fresh cilantro for garnish. Reviewed for Veg Tag/March.
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepot, melt the butter then saute' brown rice, onions and carrots over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 35 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a blender, puree mixture for 2 minutes and then return it to the saucepot.
- Add the juice and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and cheese.
- When cheese is melted, serve up the soup.
- Garnish with kettle corn and some fresh chives.