Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
found on a vegan website, cant wait to try
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup soymilk, heated to 110 degrees
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, set out at room temperature for a while
- 1⁄4 cup soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup oil (for frying)
- Pour warm soy milk over yeast, mix well and let sit for several minutes. Meanwhile cream together shortening and 6 Tbs. sugar. Add milk/yeast mixture, yogurt and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together flour, salt and nutmeg and add to the liquid ingredients. Stir everything together until a rough dough forms then turn out onto a counter and knead for 8-10 minutes. (If you have a stand mixer then by all means use it.)
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let sit until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, mix together the diced apple, 1 Tbs. sugar, 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon and lemon juice. Then turn the dough out onto a counter and roll into a sheet about 1/4" thick. Spread the apples evenly over the dough and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon. Then cut into about 12 equal pieces and pick each piece up, fold it over and mix with your hands a little until the apples are at least somewhat incorporated. Form into an oblong shape, then place 2 inches apart on a baking pan, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Heat oil to 375° and carefully pick up one of the fritters with a spatula and slide it into the oil. Depending on the size of your pot, you can cook multiple fritters at once but don't crowd them. Fry for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side then remove with tongs and place on a rack to drain.
- Once they're cooled, drizzle with icing made from 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 1/2 Tbs. water. Now share some with your friends because otherwise you'll eat all of them yourself.