Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great veggie soup quick to prepare and freezes great!!! I use this to "fill up" before I eat my entree. 1 WW point per 1 1/2 cup serving
- 1304.07 g can V8 vegetable juice
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
- 6 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium green cabbage, large shred
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- Chop& Dice veggies, add all ingredients to a stock pot.
- Add water if necessary to bring liquids to almost twice the depth of the veggies in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook about 2 hrs.
- until veggies are soft.
- I divide into 1 1/2 cup servings and freeze in bags.
I used fat free chicken broth instead of water to make up the liquid. I didn't cook it quite as long and added the green peppers at the end as I like my veggies a little crisp. I think this soup is very good for a low cal item. It is easy to make and there is lots of it! The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because it seems to me that no diet item can be perfect!
I also used chicken broth in place of the water, and the soup was good but the tomato flavor was a bit overpowering for my taste. Thank you.
I have used this recipe for a long time and love it. If I substitute the soup for 1 meal a day and watch what I eat for the other 2 meals I can lose weight very nicely at about 2 lbs per week which is just right. You can be adventurous with it and put any veggies in it. I roasted the garlic before adding it this last time and it really added a nice flavor to it.