Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A basic recipe for V-8. Shake well before using.
- 15 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped (you want 8 quarts chopped)
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- Place all ingredients, except lemon juice, in a large stainless pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes-all veg should be soft.
- Press veg through a fine sieve or food mill.
- Return juice to pot, stir in lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Pour into clean hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process for 35 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
I kept this recipe on my refrigerator for months waiting to get the tomatoes from the garden. I made 14 quarts of this and will make more soon. It really is good! My husband said he liked it better that the store bought! The flavor is teriffic! Thanks Di!!
The original V-8 counts tomatoes as a veggie-and they dont have 8 either. Get a life, or a reasonable facsimile of one.
How can you call this "V-8" when there are only 4 veggies (at the most - 3 if you count tomatoes as a fruit) in the ingredients?