Recipe by Tina and Dave
I found this on veganfamily.co.uk ( original author is Bracken Thompson) and have altered it to suit our tastes. In fact the recipe is so flexible you can really make it your own! Time includes soaking the soya chunks or soya mince (t.v.p).Can be made a few hours before and reheated. The stew improves with standing and I find appeals to all my friends including meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans. The stew can be made with soya mince but works much better with the soya chunks.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- soya sauce
- 1 dash wine (1 splash) (optional)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 sprinkiling dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 -6 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, quartered
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle soya sauce over tvp (mince or chunks) in a jug, adding a splash of wine if you fancy. Pour about 2 cups boiling water over the tvp and soak until soft.( the original recipe use around 200ml of boiling water or just enough to cover the soya chunks).
- Chop onion and carrots and fry gently in olive oil with all the spices and garlic for about 5 minutes, covered, without browning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the soaking water/soya sauce from the tvp, adding enough water to cover.
- Cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop the veggies sticking. When the potatoes are starting to break up and thicken the stew, it is ready. Stir to help the potatoes break up then add the second lot of larger quartered potatoes and continue to cook. It can take up to an hour. The end result should be a thick stew with the chopped potatoes all broken up to make a thick sauce with the larger quartered potatoes still reasonably intact.
- Serve with steamed green spinach, broccoli or cabbage.
- Ingredients are flexible and approximate so if you have slightly different quantities it still works.