Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Uzbekistan.
Make and share this Uzbek Kavurma recipe from Food.com.
For the Meat
- 400 g lamb or 400 g beef
- 1 lb potato
- 3 onions
- 3 carrots
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 15 g fresh dill
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice, for kazakh and uzbek recipes (see recipe of that name)
For the Rice
- 2 cups rice (Basmati is best)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- For the Meat: Cut meat into serving sized pieces. Brown in oil. Add onions and saute until golden. Add tomatoes and mix. Remove from heat and add cubed potatoes and sliced carrots. Fry a few more minutes. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and cook until vegetables are tender.
- For the Rice: Soak rice for about 1/2 hour. In a skillet saute onions until tender. Add carrots, raisins, spice mix, and cardamom, continue frying slowly until onions are golden. Sprinkle sugar over this and set aside. Place rice in a pot and stir in onion mixture. Add vegetable oil and stir to mix ingredients into rice. Cover rice with water, about 1 inch of water should be over the rice. Bring to a boil, lower the temperature, and cover. Let it cook about 15 minutes then check it. Continue to cook until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy.
- Spoon rice onto a serving platter. Flatten the rice and pour the meat and veggies over the rice. Garnish with green onions.