1/6 Photos of Using the Christmas Ham Bone, Makes You Feel Good Potato Soup
1 hr 45 mins
Shelley Lee's Note:
This recipe is a "base" potato soup that is WONDERFUL as is, but with SO many possibilities! I dumped in a can on Niblets corn, and it became chowder! It was wonderful! How about: add Julienne'ed carrots close to the end; or 8 oz Velveeta cheese; or 2 cups cooked broccoli florets; or throw in some cooked shrimp and crab meat & some Cajun seasonings...; or any combination you can think of! YUM! If your hambone isn't too meaty, add a cup of shredded or chopped ham from leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place first 6 ingredients in a Dutch Oven, bring to a boil over medium heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat easily comes off the bone with a fork. Shred ham from the bone, discard any fat, return meat to the pot. Add diced potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- 2While potatoes are cooking, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat being careful not to brown. Add flour, stirring constantly until incorporated well. Bring heat to medium/high and gradually stir in the Half n Half until creamy, thick and bubbly, stirring constantly, being careful not to scorch. Once it thickly coats the spoon, remove from heat.
- 3When the potatoes are tender, stir the sauce mixture into the potato pot over medium heat, stirring constantly. Let simmer until soup reaches the desired consistency. You can add milk to adjust.
- 4There has been no salt added to this point. You may add salt, pepper, garlic, herbs or seasonings to your taste.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Using the Christmas Ham Bone, Makes You Feel Good Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.7
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: