Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
I came up with this recipe when I had several small amounts of leftovers I needed to use up. Normally, I would used fresh-pressed garlic and freshly minced parsley, but was out of both, so used my back-up options. I also use lower-fat options when available, but feel free to substitute with the real thing if you like. The result was a two thumbs-up (says my DS) breakfast.
- 4 slices lean bacon or 4 slices turkey bacon
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Smart Balance butter spread, with flax seed oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup cheese sauce or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sausage gravy
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add grits and salt and cook approximately 5-7 minutes. Stir in pepper and butter spread.
- Cook bacon in skillet nonstick or cast iron skillet until done. Reserve drippings.
- Remove bacon to paper towels; blot off grease and allow to cool; Finely chop using a food chopper or food processor - it should look like bacon bits (I did this as I only had 4 slices and I need to stretch it to have enough for everyone and saves calories) - set aside.
- Combine scrambled egg ingredients - except cheese sauce and sausage gravy - and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Scramble eggs in reserved bacon drippings just until done (don't overcook). Fold in the cheese sauce and sausage gravy.
- Layer in serving bowls in this manner: grits, egg mixture, shredded cheese and bacon bits.