Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I invented after I found myself in possession of several pounds of leftover baked ham. It quickly became one of my family's favorite comfort foods. It saves your budget and will make a quick weeknight meal. We always use the larger amounts of cheese and ham, but adjust to suit your taste.
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) boxes macaroni and cheese mix (I use Kraft)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, sauteed lightly
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped, sauteed lightly
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- Cook the macaroni from mix until very al dente (6 minutes).
- Drain and put in greased casserole dish.
- Add cheese powder from mix, butter, milk, sauteed vegetables, ham, and cheeses.
- Mix well, cover, and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir well, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- If it appears dry at any point during baking add more milk.
I made a few changes, used red pepper and green onions as that was what I had. I used a lot of ham, probably about 3 cups, and I added about 1 1/2 cups milk. It was still quite dry so I'll probably add more milk when I thaw it out. I made some freezer meals out of what we didn't eat. I used all sharp cheddar cheese. It was very tasty.
This was very good and filling. I only used 1/4 of a green pepper, but next time I'd probably omit it next time as I thought it overpowered the other flavors. I also used all shredded cheddar and no velveeta as a matter of personal preference. Made this for Freezer Tag 2008. Made through step 3, then froze in zipper bags. I thawed in the fridge before piling it into a casserole dish and baking as directed. It was a tiny bit dry so next time I'd probably add another 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 Cup cheese next time, too. Overall a really good recipe and very flexible. A good way to use up leftovers and then freeze for later (when maybe I'm not so tired of ham... :) )
We really enjoyed this for dinner. Just two of us, so I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8x8 pan. I used broccoli instead of the recommended veggies (because that's what I had on hand) and it worked out very well. Will definitely be making this again.