Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 -3 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, preferably fresh
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Bake the zucchini in a preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes, until soft but not mushy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion until golden brown.
- Combine the bread crumbs, milk, egg, cooked onion, salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring to combine.
- Slice the zucchini in two lengthwise and scoop out the pulp.
- Chop the pulp coarsely and stir into the bread crumb mixture.
- Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture.
- For the topping, combine the bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the zucchini.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
This is a great basic recipe. I have been growing these squash from seeds my Mother-in-law gave us for 30 years. They are a great summer squash,similar in taste and texture to zucchini, and great stuffed anyway you like. Another typical Uruguayan way to prepare them uses ground beef,combined with rice and we typically use a "salsa blanca" on top:)