3 hrs 15 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Beef tongue was a once a year dish in our home growing up. A beef a year meant one dinner of tongue. Now before you say, "Ewww!", realize that tongue is a tender delicious even textured full flavored cut that lends itself well to braising. Many different regions have their own ways of preparing tongue because it is so tasty. Stashing this Uruguayan treat for a cold platter night. Will serve with fresh vegetables - tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, diced chiles, pickled green beans or okra from the garden. BTW leftover tongue makes The Best sandwiches on chewy rolls with bumpy mustard, lettuce shreds & onion slices! Received in an email from gourmet-recipes-from-around-the-world. Tongue is available at Walmart now if your butcher doesn't carry them... right over by the beef cheeks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 beef tongue
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, quartered (medium sized)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard, Dijon-style
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped (pressed through a coarse sieve fine too)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1Combine the tongue, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a large pot and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- 2Remove the tongue and discard the liquid and vegetables. Peel off and discard the skin. Slice the tongue into thin slices and arrange on a serving platter.
- 3Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and mustard. Stir in the chopped egg, salt, and pepper and spoon the sauce over the tongue.
- 4Let the tongue marinate covered in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uruguayan Beef Tongue Vinaigrette (Lengua a La Vinagreta)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.8
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.0 mg
- Sodium 96.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: