Recipe by Olha
Delicate pastry enfolds a mixture of eggs and spinach for a delicious hors d'oeuvre in Uruguay.
Top Review by mrswaz
I can't believe I forgot to review this! I made this dish years ago for a study on Uruguay and found it absolutely delicious. It's much easier to make than it appears. You do have to work quickly with the filo dough, but it's totally worth the effort.
- 12 phyllo pastry
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked spinach, squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush a 9x12x2 inch baking pan with butter.
- Cover with 3 layers phyllo dough, brushing the surface of each layer with melted butter.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon grated cheese over the third layer. Cover with 3 more layers, brushing each layer with butter.
- Combine 4 tablespoons grated cheese, with the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cream and flour and mix well.
- Spread over the layered dough and cover with the egg slices. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 6 leaves of dough brushing each layer with butter, brush the top layer generously with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 50 minutes until crisp, flaky and golden. Cut into serving pieces and serve hot or cold. Serves 8.