Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve hot with plain rice, hot Nans or Chapati Roti
- 250 g skinless chicken
- 150 g urad lentils (Urad Dal, pre-soaked)
- 1 medium onion (peeled & chopped)
- 2 green chilies (chopped in small pieces, for garnishing)
- 20 g fresh coriander (Hara Dhania, for garnishing) or 20 g cilantro leaves (Hara Dhania, for garnishing)
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder (Pisi Haldi)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder (Pisi Lal Mirch, more or less may be used depending on spice preference)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste (Pisi Adrak)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (Nimbu Arkh)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pot, add the chopped onions and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder and fry spices for 2-3 minutes by adding a little water at a time (to prevent from burning).
- Add the chicken and continuously stir until all of the water evaporates.
- Add in the urad lentils.(not the water, the lentils only). Add 2 glasses of warm fresh water to the lentils and mix. Cover pot on low heat and let the chicken cook.
- When the meat has tenderized and the lentils have softened, add the ginger paste and garam masala powder and mix.
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves and green peppers and serve with lemon.