Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves coarsely chopped (discard stems)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- 6 crusty semolina submarine rolls
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced beets, drained and cut into sticks (I don't like canned beets, so I leave this out)
- 8 ounces ricotta salata, crumbled
- 4 cups arugula, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the broiler.
- Put sausages in a large nonstick skillet; pierce the casings with a fork.
- Add 1 inch of water to the pan and a drizzle of oil.
- Cover the skillet and bring liquid to a boil; remove the cover, decrease heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Let the water cook off and the casings crisp in the rendered fat.
- Heat a second large skillet over medium-high heat; add in extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, red onions, peppers, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cook veggies, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, or until they start to take on color.
- Drain the sausages; slice them on the angle into 2-inch pieces.
- Return skillet to the stove, turning the heat to medium-high.
- Add a drizzle of oil to the skillet, then add the sliced sausage pieces and brown up the cut sides.
- Split the submarine rolls; toast them under the broiler until golden.
- Add vinegar, chicken stock, and beets to the peppers and onions; cook until the beets are heated through and the liquid has almost completely cooked away.
- Add the veggies to the browned sausage slices; toss them to combine and pick up the drippings from the meat.
- Pile the sausages and veggies into the sub rolls; top each with crumbled cheese and arugula.