Recipe by Emjay99
To this day we still refer to grilled cheese sandwiches as "gorilla" cheese - a name our son, Jesse, gave his favourite restaurant order when he was a toddler! Half the fun, of course, was seeing the waitress' reaction! This "uptown" version has become a regular for us on Sunday nights.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Mmmmmm....this was a delicious! It didn't look great, but the taste more than made up for that. I wasn't sure what size pan to use and ended up using a broiler pan I had that was kind of a weird size. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll be making this again.
- 4 slices white bread (thick slices) or 4 slices whole wheat bread (thick slices)
- butter, for spreading as well as
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 slices old cheddar cheese, sandwich size, not processed cheese slices (or plastic cheese as I call it!!!)
- 4 slices tomatoes (large slices)
- 4 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard, dried or prepared
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an oven proof dish with vegetable spray.
- Toast the bread lightly and butter one side.
- Place butter side up in prepared casserole.
- Top each slice of bread with cheese slice then tomato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tablespoon of melted butter to the egg yolks together with the mustard and salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff.
- Fold in the yolk mixture and pour over the bread slices.
- Bake until golden brown and set - about 15 minutes.