1/1 Photo of Uptown Down-Home Chili
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1/2 lb baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 lb shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (with their juices)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle imported beer (Stella Artois)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1Heat a large pot over high heat; add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the meat; season it with grill seasoning and sear it, browning and crumbling it, for 3-5 minutes.
- 2Transfer meat to a plate and return the pot to the stove.
- 3Decrease the heat to med-high and add the remaining tablespoons olive oil.
- 4Add in the mushrooms and begin to brown them before adding the other veggies.
- 5After 2-3 minutes the mushrooms will begin to shrink and soften.
- 6Push the mushrooms off to one side of the pot and add all the remaining veggies to the opposite side of the pot.
- 7Once the onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic have been working for a few minutes, mix the veggies with the mushrooms.
- 8Return the meat to the pan, and season with the Worcestershire sauce, chipotle, and cumin.
- 9Add the beer to deglaze the pot, scraping up all the pan drippings.
- 10Reduce the beer by half, 2 minutes.
- 11Add the black beans, tomatoes, broth, and thyme to the chili; simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- 12Taste to adjust the seasonings.
- 13Top bowlfuls of the chili with shredded smoked Gouda and finely chopped raw onions.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uptown Down-Home Chili
Serving Size: 1 (841 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 950.5
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 212.1 mg
- Sodium 1103.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 72.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
chipotle chiles in adobo