- 7 lbs fresh collard greens
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chablis or 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from collard greens.
- Wash leaves thoroughly (the hardest step).
- Cut leaves into 1-inch strips; set aside.
- Put onion quarters in food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine onion and next 4 ingredients in a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Add collard greens and red pepper; cover and cook on medium for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until greens are tender.
- Add additional water if necessary; season to taste with salt and pepper.