Recipe by iondi2
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I saw it in a Southern Living magazine and it sounds great. Refrigerating time should be taken into consideration before baking for a party, however.
Top Review by fatback
This recipe is outstanding! Well worth the effort. Don't be fooled by the "no-bake" version of this recipe that you may find elsewhere on the internet. A block of cream cheese and a box of Jello a cheesecake does NOT make.;) FWIW, the 35-40 minute bake time was not long enough in my oven. Also, I don't understand why the recipe calls for adding the banana mixture to the cheesecake mixture after it's already been poured into the springform pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large ripe bananas, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first three ingredients in a small bowl. Press evenly into bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch spring form pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine bananas and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or just until sugar has melted. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth (around 3 minutes). Gradually add granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, then beat in coffee liqueur and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into prepared vanilla wafer crust. Spoon tablespoonfuls of banana mixture evenly over top, and swirl gently into cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Drop spoonfuls of Meringue gently and evenly over hot filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until Meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and gently run a knife around the edge of cheesecake in the spring-form pan to loosen. Cool cheesecake completely on a wire rack. Cover loosely, and chill 8 hours. Release and remove sides of pan.
- [MERINGUE: Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form and sugar dissolves (about 1-2 minutes).].