Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A modern take on "classic" ambrosia that is vegetarian, meaning NO marshmallows! From apartmenttherapy.com. Original recipe called for Asian pear, which isn't my favorite fruit. So, I subbed two Comice pears although Seckels would be good, too. Persimmon in the original recipe was replaced with a Japanese variety of apple called Sansa from a local orchard. (Substitute any [[tart]] apple.) No problem if you can't find pomegranate seeds. They can be omitted. Make sure the coconut you use is unsulphured. This salad relies heavily on the freshness and quality of the ingredients.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (or 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup full fat sour cream)
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey, warmed slightly to soften, to taste
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, sliced thinly (read intro)
- 1 apple, seeded, cored, sliced thinly (read intro)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pecans or 1⁄3 cup walnuts or 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved or 1 cup green seedless grape
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (if you want lightly toast the coconut)
- Drain the yogurt through a piece of cheesecloth or coffee filter into a strainer for 30 minutes to help it to thicken.
- Stir the honey into the yogurt, toss with the salad ingredients and serve.
- Other fruit options: pineapple, mango, papaya or star fruit.
Tasty & pretty healthy. I liked the toasted coconut taste. I used Balkan (thick) yogurt and did not drain it. I used creamed honey which I melted, I don't know the kind of pear I used. My apple was fuji though not tart I can see it would be better with tart apple. My nut of choice was walnuts. I used red seedless grapes. I had to omit the pomegranate seeds as there aren't any in stores here now. And I was bad to myself and then to your recipe as I used unsweetened flaked coconut which I toasted but it had sulfate in it. I may make this again with good coconut insha Allah and a tart type apple.
Delicious! I used grapefruit, oranges, bananas and pomegranates. The sauce was made with the yogurt, sour cream and 2 T honey. The sauce was perfect. Not too sweet and it definitively enhanced the fruit flavors. Thanks.