Recipe by Outta Here
This is from an old booklet put out by the Walla Walla Gardeners Association. Walla Walla is in SW Washington state. On recommendations from other chefs, I changed the amount of onions used from 6 to 4.
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a wonderful recipe for cornbread! This is so special and yummy, mmm! The texture is very fluffy and grainy, just like a good cornbread should be. Its crusty on the outside and has a lovely sweet oniony taste. YUM!
I used home made applesauce in place of the shortening, left out the sugar and reduced the salt to 1/4 ts. It came out fantastic and Ill definitely make this again. I especially loved the upside down idea! :)
Made and reviewed for Went to the Market Tag Game September 2011.
- 4 medium walla walla onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onions until soft and beggining to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until well blended.
- Beat egg and milk together and mix with dry ingredients until just blended.
- Pour batter over onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Turn out onto serving plate; cut into squares. Serve hot.