Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Sort of a cross between stew and beef pot pie but easier and quicker to make.
Top Review by southern_gal12000
I chose this recipe because I was looking for something that I had most of the ingredients for but I have tried recipes like this before and wasn't impressed. The biscuit topping was always tough and tasteless. This biscuit topping was fluffy. I even liked it without the mushroom sauce (which is really more like gravy) but it is good with it also. I have one tip. Make the mushroom sauce the day before and all you have to do is heat it up. And I did change a couple of things for the mushroom sauce. I sliced 8 ozs. of fresh mushrooms and sauteed them in a little butter and olive oil then poured them in with the other ingredients (for the sauce) and used white wine instead of milk or sherry wine. I was quite generous with salt and pepper, but again to taste. Thanks! I'll be making this again.
- 16 ounces frozen or canned mixed vegetables
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- If using frozen veggies, cook according to package instructions just until thawed; drain.
- Meanwhile, crumble ground beef in skillet.
- Add onion and brown evenly; drain.
- Stir vegetables into ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a 8 to 9 inch square baking dish.
- Dot with butter; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Combine egg and milk; add to dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Spread on top of beef and vegetable mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 425 egree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully invert onto a 12 or 13 inch plate and serve with mushroom sauce.
- Mushroom Sauce: Stir all ingredients together until smooth in a small saucepan.
- Heat through, stirring frequently, but do not boil.