Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
For tomato lovers! You might want to adjust the spices to taste.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 small firm ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch round metal cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup brown sugar until melted and smooth, then pour into greased cake pan.
- Layer the tomato slices overlapping if necessary to cover the bottom of the pan; set aside.
- For the cake; in a bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup sugar until well combined.
- Beat in molasses, eggs and vanilla; beat until well combined (about 2-3 minutes).
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with half and half or milk.
- Spread the batter evenly over the tomatoes.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- Run a small knife around edge of the cake, then invert onto a large plate, let stand for about 5 minutes before removing from the pan.