Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A different banana cake than my nana made. You will need 2 large over-ripe bananas to make 1 cup of mashed banana.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium bananas, sliced thinly (400g)
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe banana
- Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced).
- Grease deep 22cm-round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- Stir caster sugar and the water in medium saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to a boil.
- Boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until caramel in colour.
- Pour toffee into pan; top with sliced banana.
- Combine egg, oil, brown sugar and extract in medium bowl.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients, then mashed banana; pour mixture into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes.
- Turn onto wire rack, peel off baking paper.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature.