Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is so simple to make and is very tasty. The recipe calls for frozen strawberries but you can use fresh sweetened strawberries as well. This is an alternative to the regular strawberry shortcake!
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen, sweetened strawberries
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- fresh strawberries
- whipped cream
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows in bottom of 13x9 baking dish, set aside.
- In a bowl combine strawberries and gelatin powder, set aside.
- In a bowl cream shortening and sugar.
- add the eggs, one at a time beating well, beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour mixture over the marshmallows, spoon strawberries over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 mins.
- or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack, cut into squares, garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.
marshmallows? why ruin a good berry?
Can someone let me know what I did wrong.? My cake was so hard when it came out of the oven that we couldn't eat it.
I have made this recipe before and it is so good. We love it at our house. It is a great alternative to regular strawberry shortcake:)