Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Looking for a rhubarb recipe with a difference?
- 50 g butter
- 250 g brown sugar
- 350 g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm chunks
- 100 g wholewheat flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180‘C/gas 4.
- Melt the butter in a 26cm diameter oven-proof frying pan.
- Stir in 125g sugar and cook on a gentle heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a measuring jug or small bowl whisk the egg and add the remaining brown sugar, the buttermilk, oil and ginger, and mix well.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients until combined to form a liquid batter.
- Pour the mixture over the rhubarb in the pan.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cake feels firm in the centre. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream.