Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an attractive and delicious combination of two excellent types of cake. I found this years ago in a magazine ad for raisins.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Blend in brown sugar.
- Arrange pineapple over brown sugar/butter mixture and top with 1/2 cup raisins.
- Beat remaining 1/4 cup butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla and carrots.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Beat 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar.
- Beat in half of reserved pineapple juice till blended.
- Beat in another 1/3 of dry mixture, followed by remaining pineapple juice.
- Beat in remaining third of dry ingredients.
- Fold in remaining 1/2 cup raisins.
- Pour batter over pineapple in ovenproof skillet.
- Bake in 350 oven 40-45 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before inverting on serving plate.
A very nice casual cake! It is not as light as many upside down cakes I have had, but it was delicious and beautiful. I used half regular raisins and half golden raisins; I liked the combination! Thanks pattikay.
This was excellent! I made a few subs for dietary reasons - Eggbeaters in place of whole eggs and Splenda for baking for the white sugar. Wonderfully moist with a variety of flavors going on. I baked in a cast iron skillet; convection bake time was 32 minutes. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious!! The addition of the carrots, raisins and spices to this cake make it very special. It goes together very quickly and easily, with very little effort. I baked this in my cast iron skillet and it turned out perfectly. My family loved this and gave it 2 thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.