Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
As I college student, I love to make this recipe right before exam week as it is even better reheated. I plucked the recipe from the Jimmy Dean website.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages pork sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In saucepan, cook sausage, onion (with green pepper, basil and fennel as if desired) over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour; mix well.
- Add tomato sauce; bring mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Transfer sausage mixture to lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish; top with cheese.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine remaining flour, eggs, milk, oil and salt; stir until smooth.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and pour mixture over sausage mixture in baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Great. Everybody loved it. We added pizza ingredients: mushrooms, olives, red peppers. Used fresh basil and substituted a can of diced tomatoes for one can of tomato sauce. In my haste, I also had to put the mozzarella on at the end (with about 5 minutes left) of cooking.
I have been looking for this for years. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I was soooo sick and my dear hubby used to make all these meals for me to try and get me to eat. This is one of the things he used to make me. It is wonderful...now...haha