Recipe by Chef E. Scott
As I college student, I love to make this recipe right before exam week as it is even better reheated. I plucked the recipe from the Jimmy Dean website.
Top Review by Larry in DC
Great. Everybody loved it. We added pizza ingredients: mushrooms, olives, red peppers. Used fresh basil and substituted a can of diced tomatoes for one can of tomato sauce. In my haste, I also had to put the mozzarella on at the end (with about 5 minutes left) of cooking.
- 2 (14 ounce) packages pork sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In saucepan, cook sausage, onion (with green pepper, basil and fennel as if desired) over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour; mix well.
- Add tomato sauce; bring mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Transfer sausage mixture to lightly greased 9" x 13" baking dish; top with cheese.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine remaining flour, eggs, milk, oil and salt; stir until smooth.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and pour mixture over sausage mixture in baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.