Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is so good.... a moist cake with sliced pears, skillet-baked in a brown sugar sauce, inverted onto a platter for serving, this is a winner.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs or 2 egg whites, from extra-large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 pears, peeled cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a bowl, combine together the flour and the next 7 ingredients (flour through cloves).
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, 1/4 cup butter and molasses; add to the flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- In a cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Stir in 1/3 cup brown sugar; cook over medium heat 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Place the pear slices in the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the batter over the pears; bake for 30 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack; invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm, or at room temperature.