Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The glistening cake gets its rich taste from applesauce and spices instead of butter - Vegetarian Times.
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 177.44 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 large egg
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml molasses
- 78.07 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 78.07 ml low-fat plain yogurt
- 59.14 ml packed light brown sugar
- 59.14 ml chopped walnuts
- 3 pears, peeled cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush 10-inch cast iron skillet or 8x8-inch glass baking dish with butter.
- To make gingerbread: Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat egg, sugar and molasses with mixer for 3 minutes. add applesauce and oil, and beat until blended. Fold in flour mixture and yogurt.
- To make pear topping: Press brown sugar over bottom of prepared skillet. Sprinkle with nuts. Arrange pear slices in circles over nuts. Pour batter over pears.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges with knife. Invert cake onto platter.
This cake is just delicious and easy to make!! I followed the recipe as directed. I will definitely make this again!
I do love the smell & taste of gingerbread, & when combined in your recipe with the pears, it's absolutely wonderful, & although I have it added to my holiday cookbook, I plan on making this several times throughout the year! A definite keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]
Easy to prepare and looks and tastes great! Wouldn't change a thing!