Prep 7 mins
Cook 33 mins
This quick & easy meal from Canadian Living starts on the stove and finishes in the oven while you set the table. This makes a lot--appetite sizes will determine the number of servings, but its perfect for a weeknight!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 cup broken baked tortillas or 1 cup corn chips
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Using a very large nonstick ovenproof skillet, saute beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes; drain off fat.
- Add onion, peppers, seasonings and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes & paste and bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn and sprinkle chips & cheese over the top.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes; sprinkle with onion.
I love one dish meals that are also easy to make. I used black beans that I cooked up from recipe #16969, that you could freeze after you made them. They worked great in this recipe. This recipe will be made again. Thank you for posting. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game 2010
We enjoyed this. I used kidney beans instead of black beans since that is what I had on hand. I had to use a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, but don't think that affected the outcome. I divided the mixture into 2 dishes and froze one, leaving the tortillas and cheese off until baking time. I'll try to remember to update the review after using the frozen portion. Thanks for sharing!
This was a hit with my kids and my husband and bookmarked for a repeat. I like it, that you can prep it and let it finish in the oven and usually, I have the ingredients at home, so we will make it often, it is so easy, that even my kids can assemble it. Thanks