Recipe by CountryLady
This quick & easy meal from Canadian Living starts on the stove and finishes in the oven while you set the table. This makes a lot--appetite sizes will determine the number of servings, but its perfect for a weeknight!
Top Review by Charlotte J
I love one dish meals that are also easy to make. I used black beans that I cooked up from recipe #16969, that you could freeze after you made them. They worked great in this recipe. This recipe will be made again. Thank you for posting. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game 2010
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 cup broken baked tortillas or 1 cup corn chips
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a very large nonstick ovenproof skillet, saute beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes; drain off fat.
- Add onion, peppers, seasonings and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes & paste and bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn and sprinkle chips & cheese over the top.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes; sprinkle with onion.