Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes from my childhood. I remember my mom always tasting the dough as she was putting it on the top of the pie. I find myself doing the same. What else can you do when it’s all over your fingers?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup black olives (quartered)
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Brown meat in oil.
- When meat is half brown, drain.
- Add onion and green pepper.
- Cook stirring frequently, until meat is completely browned and onion is transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, salt, chili powder, and olives. Mix well.
- Turn into 9-inch round casserole dish.
- Mix Bisquick mix with milk and roll to fit top of dish.
- Place on top of meat mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Or until browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes, then invert on serving dish.
- Cut into pie shaped wedges to serve.
- NOTE: I’ve never inverted it before serving. We just dig right in!