Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The frosting is put on the cake before it's baked --- spread on the bottom of the pan. Recipe from 'More Healthy Homestyle Cooking'
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream (without gelatin)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the water.
- Stir in the brown sugar until smooth.
- Pour evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the coconut, marshmallows, and pecans evenly over the melted sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the egg whites for 30 seconds, or just until frothy.
- Beat in the buttermilk, sour cream, and applesauce.
- Add the cake mix and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, or just until moistened.
- Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Scrape into the pan, smoothing it evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool in the pan on a rack.
- To serve, cut into squares and invert onto individual plates.
- Replace any loose topping.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Hint: The topping for this cake sticks better when the cake is cooled almost to room temperature before cutting.