Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is different! Prep time includes browning the sausage.
Top Review by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
I used a large deep pie dish to assemble the recipe for the oven. This makes a lot & in my family of 3 was served for a second night. The presentation looks very nice cut & I served it with a salad. Would be a great addition to the buffet table or having guests for lunch.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes, optional
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (can use more)
- 8 ounces hot cooked fettuccine
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet brown the sausage; drain fat.
- Add in the chopped onion, garlic, oregano and dryed chili flakes (if using); cook until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking them up with a fork slightly; bring to a boil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in Mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, or more, if desired over tomato mixture (do not mix in).
- In a bowl mix together, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese 3 eggs, melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Toss the noodles with the egg/Parmesan mixture.
- Spread the noodle mixture over Parmesan cheese in the skillet.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Invert (turn over) onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Cut into wedges OR squares and serve.
- Note: this recipe may be made with ground beef instread of Italian sausage.