Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This upside down cake is 2 layers with cherries and nuts! Also, pretty easy 'cause it starts with a mix. This came from the Philadelphia Bulletin, which no longer exists...so this is a pretty old recipe :)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups quartered maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons cherry syrup
- 3⁄4 cup nuts
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope Dream Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed or 1 (8 ounce) containeradditional prepared Dream Whip (optional)
- Combine brown sugar and butter.
- Stir in cherries, cherry syrup and nuts.
- Spread evenly in bottom of two 9 inch layer pans.
- Set aside until needed.
- Combine cake mix, whipped topping mix, eggs and water in a large bowl and blend until moistened.
- Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Carefully spoon over cherry mixture in pans.
- Bake in preheated 350* over for 30- 35 minutes.
- Immediately turn cakes out onto a cooling rack, fruit side up.
- Allow to cool and frost with additional whipped topping if desired.
Very yummy. A pound cake sort of texture. I frosted the middle and sides with Cool Whip. I left the top uncovered except a couple of shots of Cool Whip with a cherry on top. It was really pretty!