Recipe by loof
This sweet and tasty dessert came from a cookbook put out by Dorothy Mengering, mother of Late Night talk show host David Letterman.
Top Review by KristinV
I also cut down on the sugar and realised when it was too late to go to the supermarket that I didn't have enough brown sugar for the sauce so I substituted white sugar. If I was to make this one again, I would use better quality dates, make sure I had enough brown sugar and cut the nutmeg by half as I found it quite overwhelming. Made for ZWT 6 Family Picks (Voracious Vagabonds)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) package pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- whipped cream, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Put the dates in a small bowl. Top with 1 cup boiling water and set aside.
- In another small bowl blend 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and egg. Beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to egg/sugar mixture alternately with cooled date mixture.
- Pour batter into an 8x12x2 inch baking dish. Pour brown sugar sauce evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut into squares and invert to serve. Top each serving with whipped cream.