Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Recipe I found in a magazine and I can't wait to try. I think it will make an impressive Christmas dessert.
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a 9-inch round cake pan over medium heat, coat pan with cookin spray. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter to pan, stirring until melted. Stir in ginger, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, arrange cranberries on top of brown sugar mixture.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine 1/4 cup butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, beggining and ending with flour mixture, mixing after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer at medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter, pour batter over cranberries in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the outside edge. Place a plate upside down on top of cake pan, invert cake onto plate.
- Top each serving with whipped topping.