Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice moist chocolate cake with a different kind of "icing"
Make and share this Upside Down Chocolate Chip Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup hot coffee
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (I use sweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup ground pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9 inch round cake pan with non stick cooking spray (Pam).
- Add butter(for the topping) in the cake pan and place in preheated oven until butter has melted (1 minute).
- Add remaining topping ingredients to pan and set aside. Make sure it is evenly spread over the bottom of the pan.
- In bowl sift flour, salt baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar.
- In separate bowl whisk together vegetable oil, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients mix well.
- Add hot coffee mix well.
- Pour over nut mixture in cake pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert on to cake plate add milk chocolate chips, while cake is still warm so they melt a bit.
I really liked this recipe and really enjoyed the moistness and texture. I made two cakes one right after the other and realized that no matter how much "Pam" or butter I used in the pan the coconut and nuts stuck to the bottom. Both times I had the same issue. What should I try to keep from having this problem again?
Very good! My sons just loved this cake. They love chocolate and chocolate chips so I knew I couldn't go wrong with this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.
This was really easy and really yummy. The cake turned out very moist and was a nice dark chocolate color. My only critique is that it tastes a bit like baking soda. Perhaps reversing the amounts of soda and powder would fix that. Very yummy. I did use soy milk and had to keep it in about 40 min.