Recipe by David Stobbe
This was posted in a local newspaper and makes best use of my two favorite things - local apples and chocolate. Can you ask for anything more?
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 2 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour melted butter into 9x9 pan.
- Add brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Garnish with apple slices.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift dry ingredients, cut in butter until consistency of large crumbs.
- Mix egg, milk and vanilla together; incorporate into dry ingredients.
- Pour cake mixture onto apple slices.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes and then turn onto cake plate.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.